2. All students in grades 5th-6th must complete a permission slip signed by their guardian and teacher BEFORE beginning their project. This permission slip should be e-mailed to their school STEM Fair Coordinator. Students in grades k-4th do not need to have a permission slip.
Kindergarten – 3rd Grade students can use the 4th – 6th grade power point templates. 4th – 6th Grade students cannot use the Kindergarten – 3rd Grade power point templates.
Please do not add extra slides beyond what is allowed in the power point templates.
4. STEM Fair projects using the power point template must be saved in the following format “last name_project title_grade” If your project title is long, please shorten to the first five words.
5. Photographs of students involved in the projects are allowed in the power point. Protect the identity of others by hiding their faces.
6. Animations and videos are not allowed in the power point. Students can share video during the judge interview.
7. Company or University logos are not allowed in the power point.
8. STEM Fair project journals are required for students in grades 5th-6th. Students are encouraged, but NOT required, to upload one photo to their power point showing a completed page(s) in their lab notebook. The photo may alternatively show the lab notebook open to a completed page in front of a stack of all notebooks and/or binders used. Students in k-4th grades are not required to have journals, but journals are always welcome!
9. If humans are part of the project than a nurse, psychologist, or doctor’s signature is required on the permission slips for grades 5th-6th BEFORE students begin their projects. If humans are part of the projects than students in grades k-4th need verbal permission from their guardians to begin their projects. If you need help finding a doctor, please reach out to Kristen Bonner at firstname.lastname@example.org
10. If humans are part of the project and under 18 than their guardians must give written permission for them to participate in the project. Please turn these permission slips in with the permission slips for grades 5th-6th. If humans are part of the project and under 18 than students in grades k-4th need verbal permission from the humans’ guardians to participate in the project.
11. The only nonhuman animals allowed in science fair projects are personal pets. If the projects include pets, the projects MUST NOT inflict any harm to the pets.
12. If nonhuman animal pets are part of the projects than a veterinarian’s signature is required on the permission slips for grades 5th-6th BEFORE beginning the projects. If nonhuman animal pets are part of the projects than students in grades k-4th need verbal permission from their guardians before beginning their projects. If you need help finding a veterinarian, please reach out to Kristen Bonner at email@example.com.
13. Students cannot grow mold or other microbes at home or in an elementary school.
14. Please choose a project that allows you to follow Utah health guidelines, such as wearing a mask and staying 6 feet apart from people from outside your household.
If you have any questions about rules, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org